Medieval rural settlement 240m south of Lower Woodshaw Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018388 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 02:47:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Wootton Bassett
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 08408 82045
Reasons for Designation
Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity
in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains
needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been
divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive
mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided
into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have
gradually evolved during the last 1500 years or more.
The Upper Avon and Thames local region has mixed characteristics, with
elements of both `village' and `woodland' landscapes. It is distinguished by
substantial densities of villages and hamlets associated with moderate numbers
of scattered farmsteads, giving a rather dense overall pattern, but the region
still carried woodland in 1086, and the Braden and Chippenham Forests reflect
The medieval rural settlement 240m south of Lower Woodshaw Farm is well preserved and is good example of its class within this sub-Province. It will contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes the remains of a medieval settlement located 240m south
of Lower Woodshaw Farm on low lying clay pasture land to the south east of
Wootton Bassett. A series of house platforms of irregular shape are grouped
around the north and west sides of a down cut feature interpreted as a pond.
The largest platform adjacent to the pond is 1.5m high and is surrounded by a
shallow ditch 0.1m deep. The monument is abutted by ridge and furrow, which
rises to a low height only and has not therefore been included in the
scheduling. Earthworks to the north and west represent field boundaries and
drainage features of uncertain date and are likewise not included in the
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing