This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Jumps group of round barrows

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: The Jumps group of round barrows

List entry Number: 1019117

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Froxfield

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Tisted

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 30-Nov-1925

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Jul-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32553

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They comprise closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including several different types of round barrow, occasionally associated with earlier long barrows. Where large scale investigation has been undertaken around them, contemporary or later "flat" burials between the barrow mounds have often been revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland Britain, with a marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases, they are clustered around other important contemporary monuments such as henges. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, whilst their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving or partly-surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Saucer barrows date to the Early Bronze Age, most examples falling between 1800 and 1200 BC. They are one of the rarest recognised forms of round barrow with about 60 examples known nationally, most of which are in Wessex. Bowl barrows, by contrast, are the most numerous form of round barrow, and date from the Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples dating to between 2400-1500 BC. The presence of a bank linking bowl barrows is an unusual feature. The Jumps group of round barrows survives well despite some later disturbance and, along with the other barrows in the cemetery, can be expected to retain important archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a closely spaced group of four substantial bowl barrows and the surviving remains of a probable saucer barrow, inconspicuously situated on the floor of a shallow chalk valley beside the A32 near West Tisted. It forms a dog-leg shaped area defined by the road to the south east, and boundary fences to the north west, north and east. The group forms the core component of a round barrow cemetery of probable Bronze Age date (2000- 700 BC) that is known alternatively as The Jumps or The Devil's Jumps. Three additional barrows which also form part of the cemetery, situated 125m-200m to the west and 125m to the south east, are the subjects of separate schedulings. The four bowl barrows form a nearly contiguous alignment, oriented north east-south west alongside the A32, with the two south western barrows linked unusually by a narrow bank. They all include prominent, steep sided, circular mounds, ranging from 24m to 28m in diameter and from 1.8m to 3m in height. There are possible traces of surrounding quarry ditches, although these have been disturbed and partly destroyed by the verge of the A32, which clips the monument to the south east, and by modern ploughing to the north west. The mounds themselves are all flat topped, indicating they may have been disturbed by later excavation. The probable saucer barrow, situated to the north, has been partly destroyed by a series of later chalk extraction pits and, more recently, by the construction of a modern telephone exchange and mast. It survives, however, as an irregularly shaped remnant of a squat, saucer shaped or subrectangular mound, up to 1m high, flanked to the south by a semicircular section of a surrounding ditch and outer bank. The ditch has now become substantially infilled, but the bank survives to a height of 0.75m. Despite the modern disturbance, buried remains associated with the original use of the monument, including burials, grave pits amd grave goods, can be expected to survive within or beneath each barrow. The later use of the monument is represented by a parish boundary bank which crosses the northern flanks of the north eastern bowl barrow and forms the modern joint boundary between the parishes of Froxfield and West Tisted. Later use of the monument is also represented by the chalk extraction pits, probably dating to the 18th century, one of which is included in the scheduling where it lies within the earlier saucer barrow. All fence posts are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beddington, WG, Christy, EB, It happened in Hampshire, (1937), 149
Godwin, G N, The Civil War in Hampshire, (1904), 177
Williams-Freeman, JP, Introduction to field archaeology as illustrated by Hampshire, (1915), 293-4

National Grid Reference: SU 66780 28145

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 01:55:04.

End of official listing