This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and an associated field system 240m south of Panson Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and an associated field system 240m south of Panson Farm

List entry Number: 1019205

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Longden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 20-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Feb-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33808

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 240m south of Panson Farm is a well-preserved example of this class of monument. Subcircular moated sites are relatively uncommon nationally and such sites are thought to date to the early medieval period. The moated island will retain structural and artefactual evidence of the medieval and later buildings that once stood on the site, which together with the artefacts and organic remains existing in the moat will provide valuable evidence about the occupation and social status of the inhabitants. Organic remains surviving in the buried ground surfaces, under the raised interior and the external bank, and within the moat, will also provide information about the changes to the local environment and the use of the land before and after the moated site was constructed. The ridge and furrow cultivation remains demonstrate the nature of the agricultural practices in the area following the construction of the moated site. Documentary sources also provide valuable information about the later history of the site.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of a medieval moated site and associated ridge and furrow cultivation situated in an area of gently undulating land. There are three other moated sites in the vicinity. The one north west of Whitley Grange, 550m to the north east, is the subject of a separate scheduling.

The moat 240m south of Panson Farm is between 10m and 14m wide and defines a subcircular island approximately 40m in diameter. The moat retains water, apart from the south eastern quadrant which has been filled in during modern times, but which will survive as a buried feature. Material excavated from the moat has been used to raise the level of the island by about 1m above the level of the surrounding ground. Spoil from this operation has also been used to create an external bank, about 6m wide and up to 0.5m high, which surrounds the western half of the moat. External ditches radiating from the south western and north western parts of the site appear to have been dug in order to drain the moat.

In the 15th century Panson is referred to as a manor, and in 1621 Thomas Berrington of Moat Hall purchased a house here. In the early 19th century this house was replaced by a group of cottages, which were demolished in 1964, although the concrete and brick floors of these buildings remain. The water supply for the cottages came from a well on the northern part of the island, and it is likely that it also served the earlier houses that occupied the site. Access to the site was via a raised causeway, which runs south eastwards across the field and crosses the southern part of the moat. Overlying the causeway is a well-laid cobbled pathway, of probable 19th century date. The remains of strip cultivation known as ridge and furrow are visible beyond the southern and eastern parts of the moat. A 20m sample area of these cultivation remains, incorporating a section of the raised causeway and the cobbled path, together with parts of the drainage ditches, has been included in the scheduling in order to preserve the relationship between these features and the moated site.

The brick and concrete floors of the demolished cottages are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire : Volume VIII, (1968), 262-63
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 184

National Grid Reference: SJ 44797 09347

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 01:26:17.

End of official listing