Two bowl barrows 150m and 220m south west of Rews Cross


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1019255

Date first listed: 03-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-2000


Ordnance survey map of Two bowl barrows 150m and 220m south west of Rews Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 15:42:14.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: North Molton

National Grid Reference: SS 72626 31882, SS 72669 31938


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite reduction in height through cultivation, the two bowl barrows 150m and 220m south west of Rews Cross, survive well and will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to the barrows and their surrounding landscape. They also form part of a dispersed group of barrows.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument, which falls into two separate areas of protection, includes two bowl barrows situated on a prominent hill called Bampfylde Hill, overlooking the valley of the River Mole. The barrows form part of a dispersed group. The southernmost barrow survives as a circular mound which measures 20.6m in diameter and 1.3m high. The surrounding ditch from which material to construct the mound was derived, survives as a buried feature, approximately 3m wide. The barrow is crossed on its south eastern side by a field boundary. The northern barrow survives as a circular mound 20.9m in diameter and 2.5m high. The surrounding outer ditch is preserved as a buried feature which measures approximately 3m wide. A field boundary kinks around this barrow on its western and southern sides. The field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34244

Legacy System: RSM


Devon County Sites and Monuments Register, SS73SW7, (1982)
Devon County Sites and Monuments Register, SS73SW9, (1982)

End of official listing