Deer park pale in Stubb's Coppice, Hogstock Coppice and Sing Close Coppice


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1019952

Date first listed: 06-Mar-2002


Ordnance survey map of Deer park pale in Stubb's Coppice, Hogstock Coppice and Sing Close Coppice
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 13:16:53.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Tarrant Rawston

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Tarrant Rushton

National Grid Reference: ST 95542 06757


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Deer parks were areas of land, usually enclosed, set aside and equipped for the management and hunting of deer and other animals. They were generally located in open countryside on marginal land or adjacent to a manor house, castle or palace. They varied in size between 3ha and 1600ha and usually comprised a combination of woodland and grassland which provided a mixture of cover and grazing for deer. Parks could contain a number of features, including hunting lodges (often moated), a park-keeper's house, rabbit warrens, fishponds and enclosures for game, and were usually surrounded by a park pale, a massive fenced or hedged bank often with an internal ditch. Although a small number of parks may have been established in the Anglo-Saxon period, it was the Norman aristocracy's taste for hunting that led to the majority being constructed. The peak period for the laying-out of parks, between AD 1200 and 1350, coincided with a time of considerable prosperity amongst the nobility. From the 15th century onwards few parks were constructed and by the end of the 17th century the deer park in its original form had largely disappeared. The original number of deer parks nationally is unknown but probably exceeded 3000. Many of these survive today, although often altered to a greater or lesser degree. They were established in virtually every county in England, but are most numerous in the West Midlands and Home Counties. Deer parks were a long-lived and widespread monument type. Today they serve to illustrate an important aspect of the activities of medieval nobility and still exert a powerful influence on the pattern of the modern landscape. Where a deer park survives well and is well-documented or associated with other significant remains, its principal features are normally identified as nationally important.

The earthwork remains of the deer park pale in Stubb's Coppice, Hogstock Coppice and Sing Close Coppice are well-preserved along the eastern, southern and western lengths and these provide a good indication of the original character of the deer park. The association of the additional earthwork within the south eastern area represents an unusual survival of a deer trap.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes the upstanding earthwork remains of the park pale (or boundary) of a deer park now occupied by Stubb's Coppice, Hogstock Coppice and Sing Close Coppice, situated on a gentle south facing slope along the eastern edge of the Tarrant valley. The deer park pale, which was recorded by L M Cantor and J D Wilson in 1968, now survives as an earthwork along the eastern and southern sides of the former deer park. It includes a bank with dimensions of between 4m to 5m in width and 0.5m to 1m in height and an outer ditch between 1.5m to 3m in width and about 0.5m deep. The eastern stretch runs for approximately 1.1km and the southern stretch for about 800m. Within the south eastern corner another bank and ditch form a triangular enclosure with an entrance to the north. This is likely to represent a deer trap, into which animals could be chased. A documentary reference dating to 1296 records that a park of 32ha existed at Tarrant Rushton and that this included areas of both woodland and pasture. All gate and fence posts which relate to the modern field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33195

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
Cantor, L M, Wilson, J D, 'Proc Dorset Nat Hist Arch Soc' in Medieval Deer Parks of Dorset, , Vol. 90, (1968), 242-244

End of official listing