This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bowl barrow immediately east of Bishopstrow House

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Bowl barrow immediately east of Bishopstrow House

List entry Number: 1019973

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishopstrow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Jan-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 34187

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The bowl barrow immediately east of Bishopstrow House is a particularly large and well-preserved example of this class of monument. There is no record that it has been excavated and it will therefore contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the people who built it and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on a low lying spur of Lower Chalk which forms the north side of the Wylye valley to the east of Warminster. The barrow is situated on a slight south facing slope running down to the river. The mound is flat-topped and 2.2m high from the north but 4m high from the south. From east to west it is 52m in diameter and from north to south 50m, the lower edge of the mound to the north having been truncated by the building of a tennis court. The flat top is circular with a diameter of 10m. Surrounding the mound is a ditch from which material was quarried during its construction. This has been infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature 3m wide except on the north west side of the mound where it has been destroyed by a modern building. The barrow is depicted by the 18th century antiquarian Sir Richard Colt- Hoare on his map of sites around Warminster. There is no record that the barrow has been excavated. Another bowl barrow and a long barrow to the north are the subject of separate schedulings. The surface of the tennis court and fencing are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colt Hoare, R, The Ancient History of Wiltshire: Volume I, (1812), 51
Cunnington, M E, 'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Some Norman Castle Sites in Wiltshire, , Vol. 45, (1930), 137

National Grid Reference: ST 89801 44294

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 02:18:49.

End of official listing