This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Round 450m south of Tregeagle

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Round 450m south of Tregeagle

List entry Number: 1020714

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Clement

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Jul-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32960

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch, with one entrance breaking the circuit. Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies, pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming an additional enclosure. Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon and especially Cornwall, where many more examples may await discovery. Most recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs. Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west England. Consequently, sites with significant surviving remains will normally be considered to be of national importance.

Despite modification of its enclosing bank and part of the external ditch, the round 450m south of Tregeagle survives well. Its situation illustrates the relationship between monuments of this type and the topography of their surroundings well.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a round of the later prehistoric to Roman periods, situated on a moderately steep south east slope to the north of Tresillian, above the upper tidal reaches of the Tresillian River. The round is sub-oval in plan, measuring up to approximately 70m north-south by 60m east-west overall. It has an enclosing bank, visible on old aerial photographs, partly incorporated in a relatively recent boundary bank around the north and west sides. The enclosing bank has an external ditch, visible on the ground on the north, east, and south east sides, where it is 5m-6m wide, and open to a depth of approximately 0.7m, increasing to 1.5m on the downhill (south east) side. Most of the interior of the round falls away to the south east with the natural slope. Inside the bank on the north west side is a more gently sloping area some 20m across. The original entrance is considered to be on the south side. An old map records the name Round Meadow for the field containing much of the round; the name clearly refers to its earthworks. Old maps also show a later settlement to the south of the round with two buildings situated on the line of the enclosing earthworks; part of the external ditch on the east side was also reused, forming a trackway. The modern fencing, gate and gate fittings, and agricultural equipment are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Padel, O J, Cornish placename elements, (1985), 180
Other
Dyer, C, to Parkes, C, (2001)
PRN 22534, Sheppard, P, CAU SMR, (1977)
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1880 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map Source Date: 1908 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Probus Tithe Apportionment Map Source Date: 1840 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SW 86693 46566

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020714 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 08:12:33.

End of official listing