This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHILVERS C0TON FREE SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHILVERS C0TON FREE SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1034951

Location

CHILVERS C0TON FREE SCHOOL, AVENUE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Nuneaton and Bedworth

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308625

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be included:

NUNEATON AVENUE ROAD SP 39 SE (north side) 2/83 Chilvers Coton Free School - II

School. Founded by Lady Elizabeth Newdigate in 1735. C18 west range remodelled in 1890s; south range built c.1766 to designs of Sir Roger Newdigate of Arbury Hall and altered in 1890s; extensions to rear (north) of 1893 and 1897. Squared and coursed sandstone with ashlar facades; late C19 extensions of brick; gabled Welsh slate roofs and hipped corrugated asbestos roof to south range; brick ridge, end and lateral stacks. Rectangular - plan south range with west range making L-plan. South elevation of 2 storeys, 7-bay range with segmental-arched entrance to tall and slightly-projecting central bay: range to right has stone lintels over 2-light first-floor casements with glazing bars and C20 ground-floor windows; range to left had windows deepened into full-height windows; moulded stone cornice. Right-end wall has stone lintels over 2-light casements with glazing bars and tripartite window to rear. West range of one-storey, 4-window range has C19 gabled dormers over 3 tall windows set in square-headed architraves; stone lintel over mid C18 six-panelled door to left, and C20 window to late C19 bay added to left. Two late C19 rear wings with chamfered segmental arches over tripartite windows to rear, one to east retaining cast-iron glazing-bar windows. Interior: late C19 trusses; C18 plank door to left; room to centre of south range has chamfered piers with raised imposts to quadripartite vault. (Drawing of South range by Sir Roger Newdigate in Warwick Records Office CR 764/215).

Listing NGR: SP3636190797

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 36361 90797

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034951 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 05:43:11.

End of official listing