BARN AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S PRIORY FARM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1037547

Date first listed: 26-Oct-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Apr-1990

Statutory Address: BARN AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S PRIORY FARM, ST BARTHOLOMEW'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S PRIORY FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037547 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 21:23:59.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S PRIORY FARM, ST BARTHOLOMEW'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: Sudbury

National Grid Reference: TL 87159 42790

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/01/2013

TY 84 SE 1/139 1692

ST BARTHOLOMEW'S LANE Barn at St Bartholomew's Priory Farm

II*

Barn. C14 with C17 alterations. Weatherboard over timber frame; hipped reed thatch roof. Aisled 6-bay plan with 2 threshing floors. Roof swept over two sets of C19/2O plank double doors breaking eaves line; hipped roof continued over additional cart bay to left. Interior: studded wall framing; reversed assembly to wall plates, curved bracing from sole plate to aisle post, passing braces from outer aisle posts to tie beam halved through jowled aisle tie beams and jowled aisle posts which are braced to tie beams; C17 clasped-purlin roof. Noted as one of the finest medieval barns in Suffolk. Built for Westminster Abbey, who owned the grange from 1115 to 1538. (P Aitken, "Aisled Barns in Suffolk", Journa1 of the Historic Farm Buildings Group, Vol 3 (1989) pp 62-3,70).



Listing NGR: TL8715942790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 275914

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group' in Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group, , Vol. 3, (1989), 62-3, 70

End of official listing