This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MAGDALEN COLLEGE SCHOOL, BUILDING TO SOUTH OF CHAPEL OF SAINTS JOHN AND JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAGDALEN COLLEGE SCHOOL, BUILDING TO SOUTH OF CHAPEL OF SAINTS JOHN AND JAMES

List entry Number: 1040572

Location

MAGDALEN COLLEGE SCHOOL, BUILDING TO SOUTH OF CHAPEL OF SAINTS JOHN AND JAMES, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brackley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233830

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRACKLEY HIGH STREET 1. 5328 (East Side) Magdalen College School, Building to south of Chapel of Saints John and James SP 5836 1/36 22.4.50. II GV 2. A building standing back from the road and to the north-east of that mentioned above, it consists of the remains of a probably C16-17 house which has been altered and added to. 2-storeyed coursed rubble with Welsh slate roof. The south gable end has a massive projecting stone stack with stepped Welsh slated offsets; the north-east end gable has a smaller projecting stone stack and both have moulded brick shafts. In the west front are modern sash windows, one with 3 C19 Gothic traceried lights. The 1st floor north windows in the west front are in stone keystoned C18 frames. (See Jnl. Brit. Arch. Assoc., III (1938), 200).

Listing NGR: SP5859136958

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of The British Archaeological Association' in Journal of The British Archaeological Association, , Vol. 3, (1938), 200

National Grid Reference: SP 58591 36958

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040572 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2018 at 02:47:34.

End of official listing