CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046070

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, FOSSE WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:17:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, FOSSE WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)

Parish: Collingham

National Grid Reference: SK 83637 58352

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 85 NW COLLINGHAM FOSSE WAY (west side)

7/20 Church of St. Stephen II

Parish Church, c.1885. Brick with plain tile roof, blue brick and ashlar dressings, brick plinth, brick eaves, decorative ridge tiles. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, south porch, vestry, bell turret. Nave, 3 bays, 2 single and one double lancet, all with chamfered reveals; 2 brick buttresses, single setoff, ashlar caps. North side has one single and one double lancet and 2 buttresses. West gable has 2 buttresses and 5 lancets with rubbed brick heads and stone sills. Gabled south porch has brick eaves and kneelers, 2 setback buttresses, single chamfered lancet to north, chamfered pointed arched opening with decorative ironwork lamp bracket and cross above. South door has pointed arched rubbed brick doorway with close boarded door with decorative hinges. Vestry has setback buttresses and double lancet in chamfered reveal on north gable; chamfered pointed arched doorway to east, containing close boarded door with decorative hinges. Chancel, single bay, has single paired lancet in chamfered reveal on south side only. East gable has 2 setback buttresses, moulded string course, 3 lancets under relieving arch, stone sill, cross on gable. Battered tile hung timber bell turret, 3 stages with open timber bell stage, tile hung first stage and gables, steep pitched saddleback roof, ornate iron cross. Interior has fine tuck pointed brickwork with chamfered reveals; stone corbels carrying arch braces to scissor trussed principal rafter roof with moulded tenoned purlins and diagonal matchboarding. Stained glass, late C19 and C20. Octagonal stone font on square base with elaborate crocketed timber cover. 2 sets of 4 re-sited medieval choir stalls, 5 elaborate wrought iron chandeliers; on south side notable bronze memorial with 2 figures in high relief, to Thomas Cecil Smith Woolley, ob.1913, signed Geo. Frampton, R.A. On north side chamfered doorway to vestry with elaborate wrought iron grille. Pointed chancel arch, chamfered, with good late C19 wrought iron screen with paired gates and decorative cross above. Chamfered pointed arched opening for organ on north side, triple pointed arched sedelia and pointed arched piscina on south side. East window has stained glass dated 1887, 1894, 1896; south windows have C20 stained glass. Roll moulded puffin roof with arched braces to collars and diagonal matchboarding.

Listing NGR: SK8363758352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 242545

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing