This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OUTBUILDINGS AND VEHICLE GATEWAY ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF SEAVINGTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUTBUILDINGS AND VEHICLE GATEWAY ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF SEAVINGTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056964

Location

OUTBUILDINGS AND VEHICLE GATEWAY ABOUT 5 METRES SOUTH OF SEAVINGTON HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Seavington St. Michael

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264167

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CP CHURCH LANE (East side) ST41NW 2/87 0utbuildings and vehicle gateway about 5 metres south of Seavington House

GV II

0utbui1dings. Probably mostly C18 or early C19, but a doorway dated 1855. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; north wing has plain clay tiles to shallow pitch, east gable coped with ball finial, hip to north-west corner; south range has corrugated iron probably replacing thatch, between high stepped coped gables. 'L"-plan, single storey; north range of 7 bays, with 3-light horizontal-bar casement windows bays 1 and 4, plain doorways bays 2 and 3, and 3-centre arched openings to bays 5, 6 and 7 with small-pane windows bays 5 and 7 and studded door bay 6; similar pair of studded doors in west end, with 'AHP 1855' inscribed on 3-centre arch by one of the Poole family. South wing has 2 boarded openings above and a C20 garage door and window below. Against the north west corner of the range, which is slightly rounded, a gateway with 2 octagonal pillars having plain plinths and moulded pointed tops, with pair of wrought-iron gates between, and matching small pedestrian gate on north side, linking the whole to Seavington House (q.v.). of which this group probably represents the stable and coach house. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4102515177

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 41025 15177

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 06:47:16.

End of official listing