BERNERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057109
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Statutory Address:
BERNERS, 27, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BERNERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057109 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 16:04:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
BERNERS, 27, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
West Coker
National Grid Reference:
ST 52137 13382

Details

WEST COKER CP EAST STREET (North side) ST5213 10/258 No.27 (Berners) 19.4.61 II

Cottage. Dated 1733. Ham stone ashlar on rubble plinth; thatch between coped gables; brick end chimney stacks. 2-storeys, symmetrical 3-bays. Hollow chamfered mullioned windows with leaded lights, the upper windows incorporating some old glass, metal opening lights of varying ages - ground floor windows of 3-lights; upper 2-lights; continuous label to ground floor interupted by segmental pediment over central doorway, in the panel of which is inscribed "1733 William and Mary Barter"; early plain boarded door in plain chamfered opening, 3 steps up. Single light window with label in East gable, 2-light to West gable with extended hood mould. Interior has old fireplace with intact ovens in East wall with stone spiral staircase alongside; another small stone fireplace of C18 in West wall; fielded panelling to dadoes and window seats; deep chamfered beams with runout stops, '6'-frame collar trusses, elm floorboards; partitions in early positions; modern rear windows. The Barters (or Barton, Church Register) married in 1733, and quoted as having 'rebuilt the said dwelling house'. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST5213713382

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263816
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08205/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Mary Warner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].