This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALLER FARMHOUSE INCLUDING PARALLEL RANGE AT REAR AND HAND PUMP IN THE ALLEY BETWEEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALLER FARMHOUSE INCLUDING PARALLEL RANGE AT REAR AND HAND PUMP IN THE ALLEY BETWEEN

List entry Number: 1057525

Location

ALLER FARMHOUSE INCLUDING PARALLEL RANGE AT REAR AND HAND PUMP IN THE ALLEY BETWEEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sampford Brett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264886

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST03NE SAMPFORD BRETT CP CAPTON

5/124 Aller Farmhouse including parallel range at rear and hand pump in the alley between (previously listed as Aller Farmhouse)

22.5.69

- II

Farmhouse. C16 and C17, reroofed C18 and restored C19. Red sandstone random rubble, quoins, slate roofs, barge board to gabled cross wing with stone stack rising from eaves left, large external stone stack right gable end, brick stacks gable ends of rear range. Plan: not clear without internal inspection; parallel range at rear, 2 cell with separate entries, linked by about 1.5 metres of wall to main block, cross passage with single cell right, stair turret at rear and addition, left projecting crosswing 2 cell. 2 storeys, 1:3 bays; first floor right early C19 leaded casement with quadrant stays, left in gable end 3-light hollow chamfered stone mullioned window under square hood mould, similar pair below with another pair to right of entrance, all partially renewed C20, 9 panel door, wooden arched fanlight in brick surround, pentice porch on shaped brackets. Interior not viewed. C19 hand pump in alley between main block and rear wing, latter said to contain fireplaces at gable ends, one with bacon curing chamber, the other with tile lined oven, chamfered beams with step and runout stops and evidence of jointed cruck roof prior to C19 reroofing; main block said to be without datable features. A house and chapel are recorded on this site prior to 1197 and a detailed survey was made in 1507. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, July 1976).

Listing NGR: ST0788039710

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in July, (1976)

National Grid Reference: ST 07880 39710

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057525 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 07:43:54.

End of official listing