This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SUTCLIFFE SPEAKMANS CARBON WORKS (FORMERLY LEIGH BREWERY)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUTCLIFFE SPEAKMANS CARBON WORKS (FORMERLY LEIGH BREWERY)

List entry Number: 1068452

Location

SUTCLIFFE SPEAKMANS CARBON WORKS (FORMERLY LEIGH BREWERY), BREWERY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213532

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 60 SE 19/12/88

LEIGH BREWERY LANE Former Leigh Brewery II

Former brewery, then a carbon processing works, 1903-10, by Christopher Simpson M.S.A., for Messrs. George Shaw and Co at a cost of £53,000 . Steel-framed, brick-clad tower (originally containing the cooling, racking and fermentation gear and water tanks), with attached range of brick-clad reinforced concrete. Tower, 4 bays (one of which is blind, containing stairs and lift shaft): 5 storeys of unequal height with smaller 2- storey recessed water tank, brick cased. Bays divided by brick pilasters with shaped capitals: variety of window arches, the most prominent being round-headed to the 4th storey: Lombard frieze. Shaped parapet rising at centre to contain the words `LEIGH BREWERY' in white bricks. Returns, 4 bays and rear, detailed as above. Adjacent range, 10 bays, 3 and 4 storeys, with concrete pilasters, the windows with varied arches as tower. The lower part with terracotta panelled parapet with scrolls, festoons and ball finials. 8 bay return with simpler decoration. Rear, as front elevation, but with some additions. The brewery was noted at the time as being uncommonly concentrated in terms of the different functions required on a large scale site. It represents an early example of the use of both steel framing and reinforced concrete ( the latter dating from 1905-6), and is one of very few pre-1914 reinforced concrete buildings to survive in this region.

Listing NGR: SJ6643800201

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD6643800201

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 11:46:47.

End of official listing