NUMBERS 4-22 (EVEN) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072606

Date first listed: 15-Sep-1997

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 4-22 (EVEN) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 4-22, MARINA COURT AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 4-22 (EVEN) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:59:38.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 4-22 (EVEN) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 4-22, MARINA COURT AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 74272 07120

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TO 70 NW BEXHILL MARINA COURT AVENUE (south side) 754/5/10001

Numbers 4-22 (Even) and attached railings

GV II

Row of bungalows. Built between 1903 and i907 by various architects in a Moghul style. Nos 10-20 (even) were the first to be built by Durward Brown, followed by No.22 by Arthur Blackford and Nos 6 and 8 by W Tillott Barlow ARIBA, both of 1906, and finally No.4 built in 1907, architect not known but stylistically similar to Nos 6 and 8. No.4 is stuccoed with roof concealed by parapet but 2 domed chimneystacks. EXTERIOR: one storey and basement; 2 windows. Left side S-light canted bay with Moghul type arches and beehive glazed leaded lights. Central projecting porch with fretted balustrade, pilasters and double-arched door with round-headed fanlight above. Triple Moghul-arched window to right hand side. Attached spear railings. Rear elevation is of2 storeys with C20 conservatory. Nos 6 and 8 were built in 1906 by W Tillott Barlow. They are a handed pair, almost identical to No.4 but with plainer porches. Nos 10, 12, 14, 14A, 16, 18 and 20 were the earliest bungalows built by Durward Brown between 1903 and 1906. They are built of brick in Flemish bond with shallow roofs with later C20 sheeted coverings. The intersection of each bay has cemented domed chimneystacks. One storey and basement; 7 windows. Curved five-light bays with leaded lights. Projecting porches with doors with fluted pilasters, arched panels and fanlights. Nos 14, 16 and 20 have in addition copper domes. Attached area railings with urn principals and scrollwork panels. Rear elevation of2 storeys with wooden verandahs and late C20 patio doors. No.22 was built in 1906 by Arthur Blackford and is similar in style to Nos 10-20. Red brick in Flemish bond and flat roof with later C20 sheeted covering. One storey and basement; three windows. Projecting porch with wooden arched door. Left side S-light bay with C20 replacement window, one cambered mullioned and transomed window and one cambered window with later C20 casement. Small minaret to corner. Attached area railings. 2-storey rear with larger corner minaret and later C20 windows. HISTORY: the Maharajah of Cooch Behar occupied no 22 in 1911 to recuperate after attending George V's Coronation with adjoining houses occupied by his retinue but he died here on 18th September 1911.



Listing NGR: TQ7427207120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 468839

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing