This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PORCH AND STAIRCASE OF EAST WING ONLY OF DOUGLAS HOUSE HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PORCH AND STAIRCASE OF EAST WING ONLY OF DOUGLAS HOUSE HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1108825

Location

PORCH AND STAIRCASE OF EAST WING ONLY OF DOUGLAS HOUSE HOSPITAL, SOUTHBOURNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bournemouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101850

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5186 SOUTHBOURNE ROAD (North East Side) Porch and staircase of east wing only of Douglas House Hospital 40/1392 34/273

II

2. Original entrance front of Stourfield House, circa 1766, incorporated in large brick, half timber and tile-hung hospital of 1898. 3 storeys on high basement, with recessed centre between 2 gables. Good Ionic porch with console-bracketed cornice, reached up double staircase of stone, with sweepingly clawed iron railings ending in urn-topped newels. Arch to basement beneath porch on rusticated piers, with rusticated spandrels, segment-roofed lobby with arched recesses. Walls unfortunately refaced in 1898: roughcast and stucco bands, half-timber to 1st floor, tile-hanging to 2nd. 4-storey canted bay on west side. Small 2-storey annexe to east, circa 1840, in painted brick, with gable on console kneelers.

Listing NGR: SZ1325692067

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 13256 92067

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108825 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:17:56.

End of official listing