BASSETTS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111260

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1981

Statutory Address: BASSETTS FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BASSETTS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:33:20.

Location

Statutory Address: BASSETTS FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Willingale

National Grid Reference: TL 61368 05117

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 60 NW WILLINGALE Bassetts Farmhouse 6/30 22.7.81

II

Farmhouse. Circa 1620, timber framed and of 2 storeys. Rectangular block shape but with unarticulated crosswings at each end. Peg tile roofs, gabled at front and rear of crosswings and with hall range of equal ridge height. The front is of cream painted boarding and the gables are jettied forward on straight cut brackets. The first floor has C19 double hung sash to south crosswing, a 3 light metal casement with small panes to hall block and a similar window in solar. The ground floor has a 2 light metal casement, 3 light sash and front door, in original position with flat hood, all in service end. The hall has a tripartite C19 double hung sash and a similar window to the original parlour. Original early C17 off-centre large stack with square base, angled shafted flues and brick drum on top. Against south flank is a C18/C19 stack and peg tile lean-to with gabled porch to the outshot attics. A continuous peg tiled lean-to runs along two-thirds of the rear with 2 small lean-to's towards the north end. All rear is without windows and is black boarded as are north and south flanks. Interior reveals unusually framed structure with 'in-line' jowls and subsidiary framing, unjowled posts forming stack and cross-passage bays. A number of diamond mullioned windows survive complete and the internal wall bracing is convex in profile rather than the usual concave. Remains of original dog leg stair with turned balusters and old door to cupboard beneath. The stack has wide inglenook opening to hall, arched cant sided fireplace to parlour and similar smaller opening to hall, arched cant sided fireplace to parlour and similar smaller opening to solar. The service end was originally subdivided into the usual buttery and pantry. Roof is of side purlin type with collars and windbracing to crosswings. (RCHM 6).

Listing NGR: TL6136805117

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118529

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing