This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MONKTON BARNS QUAY FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MONKTON BARNS QUAY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1112641

Location

MONKTON BARNS, THE QUAY
QUAY FARMHOUSE, THE QUAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Foulness

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 123134

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FOULNESS THE QUAY TQ 99 SE 8/111 Quay Farmhouse sometimes known as Monkton Barns GV II House. Circa 1811 gault brick encasing earlier timber framed building. Double range red plain tiled roofs. Rear lean-to. External left and end right plastered chimney stacks. 2 storeys. 4 window range of vertically sliding sashes, gauged brick arches. 3 S tie plates. Rear right brewhouse/wash house with basement and copper intact. Internally the front range has a large chimney stack with C20 fireplace. Stick baluster staircase, moulded door surrounds and wainscots. The ground cill, top plate and some wall studs of the timber framed building are visible under the modern decorations, moulded bridging joist. Several C18 and C19 cast iron firesurrounds one with mantel shelf over, one with Tudor head, moulded spandrels and jamb shafts, small bedroom semi-circular headed hob grate and a moulded hob grate. Vertically boarded doors with original hinges. First floor ceiling joists have soffit tenons with diminished haunches and carpenters marks. The Island had no fresh water supply until recently and there is a small header tank from the roof with supply tap. Stone flag kitchen floor. A note written in the Parish Register by the then Curate Thos. Ellwood states "August 1811 Mr. Lodwick's brick cottages Quay Farm alias Munkin Barnes begun building". The pair of cottages were converted into one dwelling C20. 20th November 1594 Lord Rich purchased from Henry Coney "Maunkyinge Barn alias Monkon Barne. 1577 Terrier showing the possessions of Sir Robert Riche shows the tenant at Monk Barn to be the Widow of William Lawson, yearly rent £13.13.4d. R.W. Crump. Foulness Archaeological Society, The First 10 Years, October 1985. Unpublished at time of resurvey.

Listing NGR: TQ9934793429

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Crump, R W , Foulness Archaeological Society The First 10 Years 1975-85

National Grid Reference: TQ 99347 93429

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:22:01.

End of official listing