This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KENTON LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KENTON LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1113309

Location

KENTON LIBRARY, KENTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Harrow

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473478

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 18 NE KENTON LANE (West side)

1157/4/10032 Kenton library

II

Public library, 1939 by W T Curtis and H W Burchett of Middlesex County Council Architect's Department. Brown brick, flat roof. Single storey, with three storey central tower. L-shaped plan with central issuing desk and reading rooms in each wing. The square tower has two small, latter projections on the south-east corner, one of brick and one glazed. Both wings tit by tall metal windows. Entrance hall lit by east watt of glass bricks. Interior: original staircase, issuing desk and screen, and original bookcases. The main reading room is both side-tit and top-lit by means of circular perforated openings. Included as a good example of the Middlesex County Architect's Department's style adopted after 1933, owing much to the work of Wittem Dudok in Hilversum, yet giving a distinctive architectural form of calibre and panache to the London suburbs. This example is especially notable for its boldly geometric composition and the survival of internal fittings. Sources Architect and Building News, 3 March 1939, pp.278-9 The Builder, 18 April 1941 Architecture Illustrated, September 1941





Listing NGR: TQ1707689549

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Architecture Illustrated' in September, (1941)
'The Builder' in 18 April, (1941)
'Architect and Building News' in 3 March, (1939), 278-279

National Grid Reference: TQ 17076 89549

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113309 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:03:56.

End of official listing