THE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126432

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1984

Statutory Address: THE HALL, ABBEY CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126432 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:33:18.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HALL, ABBEY CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Burwell

National Grid Reference: TL 58499 66459

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5866 BURWELL ABBEY CLOSE

15/1 The Hall

II

Farmhouse. Medieval, C16, C17 and C19. Original surviving medieval cross-wing and fragment of a larger building demolished c.1920 now forming the present north wing. South range possibly C17 and partly rebuilt in C19. Side stack added in C16. Timber-frame rendered and replaced with clunch. Thatched roofs. Two storeys. Elevations facing east: tall side stack in angle of two ranges of local brick plastered below eaves, C19 side stack to south gable, three first floor and two ground floor, modern, three- and four-light casement windows. Modern, glazed entrance door facing north. Interior has in north range substantial timbers arranged in squares, lap-jointed braces to wall plates with splayed joggled scarf joints. Re-used ceiling beams.

RCHM, North-East Cambs. p.32, mon.39 Lucas, C. The Fenman's World, p.93, 1928 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.312 Hewett, C.A. The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700, p.73, 1969

Listing NGR: TL5849966459

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48927

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 73
Lucas, C , The Fenmans World, (1928), 93
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 312
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

End of official listing