This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OBELISK AND 2 PIERS 70 YARDS TO NORTH EAST, 1 MILE TO NORTH EAST OF BOCONNOC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OBELISK AND 2 PIERS 70 YARDS TO NORTH EAST, 1 MILE TO NORTH EAST OF BOCONNOC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1136667

Location

OBELISK AND 2 PIERS 70 YARDS TO NORTH EAST, 1 MILE TO NORTH EAST OF BOCONNOC HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Boconnoc

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60512

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 16 NW BOCONNOC BOCONNOC PARK

6/15 Obelisk and 2 piers 70 yards to north east, 1 mile to north- 27/8/52 east of Boconnoc House - II

Obelisk and 2 piers to north-east. Obelisk, 1771, for Thomas Pitt, 1st Lord of Camelford. Inscription 'In gratitude and affection to the memory of Sir Richard Lyttleton and to perpetuate that peculiar character of benevolence which rendered him the delight of his own age and worthy the veneration of posterity MDCCLXXI' Ashlar granite blocks with inscribed slate tablets on the north-east face. 123 feet in height. Tall square plinth with cyma reversa and ovolo moulded tall base. Obelisk, square in plan and slightly tapered. Surmounted by pyramidal cap. Stands on grassed square battery. 70 years to north-east are 2 classical shrines which frame the vista when the obelisk is approached along the mile long straight drive from the north-east. Circa 1771 or slightly later. Rusticated ashlar granite and pedimented. Comprising 2 rectangular piers each decorated on north-east and south-west faces with blind round arches with Gibbs surrounds below pediments with recessed tympanii.

Listing NGR: SX1463360557

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

National Grid Reference: SX 15413 61135

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:32:27.

End of official listing