THE ROUND HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1158047
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
THE ROUND HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROUND HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158047 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 15:29:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ROUND HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brogborough
National Grid Reference:
SP 97007 38517

Details

RIDGMONT BROGBOROUGH SP 93 NE 6/66 The Round House (formerly 22.10.52 listed as Brogborough Park Farmhouse) - II

House. C17, occupied (though not necessarily built) by Col. John Okey in 1650's Reworked C19. Red brick with ashlar dressings, quoins formed by raised brickwork. Steep hipped clay tile roof. 2 storeys on a basement. Double pile plan, 3 windows to side elevations, 4 windows to front elevation. W (front) elevation: basement brickwork is C19, that to upper floors C17. Mullion and transom windows containing small-paned metal casements. 2nd and 4th windows of first floor are blind, 2nd one extended downwards to level of first floor brick band. First floor has central oeil-de-boeuf with radiating metal glazing bars. Basement has C19 windows and plank door. Ground floor doorway is to RH, approached by flight of steps. C19 4-panel door, the surrounding brickwork rebuilt. C19 open porch of oak, with turned balusters and hipped tile roof. C19 deep bracketed eaves. Central multiple chimney stack has 8 linked octagonal shafts with moulded bases and caps. Side elevations: N one has similar fenestration to front, several windows blind. S one rebuilt C19, windows having only timber mullions and transoms. This elevation has C20 lean-to addition to ground floor. Rear elevation: C19 single-storeyed outbuildings adjoin. From this hipped porch projects southwards, the southern part of C17 brick with blocked oeil-de-beouf. Interior: rather plain.



Listing NGR: SP9700738517

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38363
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].