THE FOLLY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS ON NORTH AND SOUTH SIDES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1200932
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
THE FOLLY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS ON NORTH AND SOUTH SIDES, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FOLLY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS ON NORTH AND SOUTH SIDES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200932 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 06:22:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FOLLY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS ON NORTH AND SOUTH SIDES, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bideford
National Grid Reference:
SS 45320 26152

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 NEW ROAD 842-1/6/199 (West side (off)) 19/03/73 The Folly including boundary walls on N & S sides (Formerly Listed as: TORRIDGE HILL "Woodah" (or "Wooder") with the Tower in the grounds)

GV II

Folly, originally belonging to Wooda, on Torridge Hill (qv); converted into a house about 1982. General appearance late C19, but it may be an enlargement of an earlier building, perhaps of 1848; north wing added about 1982. Stone rubble with cream-brick dressings; west side rendered. Roof not visible from below. Small rectangular building with splayed corners on east side; added wing on north. 2 storeys on a high plinth; addition single-storeyed. Battlemented structure set on high ground overlooking the town and the River Torridge; on north side a sheer rocky drop to Torridge Hill, cut through about 1825. South front of 3-window range, including one window on the splayed corner; one window on east front, another on the farther splayed corner, and a third on north front. Pointed-arched windows (except for flat-headed one in upper storey of east front) with plain glazing; cream-brick surrounds in upper storey. Raised bands above plinth and each upper storey, the top one of cream brick finished with a battlemented parapet. The stone bands do not extend to the left-hand window of the south front and the corresponding part of north front is merely rendered. West end of south front and all the battlements have cream-brick quoins. Set into the wall of the addition is a stone tablet discovered when the foundations were dug. It reads: G. RICHARDS 1848. On north side of garden, on the cliff-edge, is a section of battlemented stone-rubble wall. Similar wall on south side, abutting the house, except that in the west section the battlements are more crudely formed of upright blocks of stone. The building is not shown on the Bideford Tithe map of 1841. George Richards was an actuary living at Wooder (now Wooda) on Torridge Hill in 1850. (Bideford Tithe Map: 1841-; White W: Directory of Devonshire: 1850-: P.762).

Listing NGR: SS4532026152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375900
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1850), 762

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08357/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].