GATE PIERS AND COURTYARD WALL TO KEELE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205433

Date first listed: 14-May-1985

Statutory Address: GATE PIERS AND COURTYARD WALL TO KEELE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATE PIERS AND COURTYARD WALL TO KEELE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 01:58:25.

Location

Statutory Address: GATE PIERS AND COURTYARD WALL TO KEELE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)

Parish: Keele

National Grid Reference: SJ 81933 44795

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 84 SW KEELE C.P. KEELE UNIVERSITY CAMPUS

6/32 Gate piers and courtyard wall to Keele Hall

GV II

Gate piers and courtyard wall. C.1860, probably by Anthony Salvin, who re-built Keele Hall (q.v.) at this time. Gate piers: sandstone ashlar with smooth-faced rustication. Rectangular in section. Moulded plinth and capping with empty statue niches on each of long sides; carved bell- like finials, bearing the Sneyd coat-of-arms, surmounted by brass lanterns. The so-called Freshers' Gate to the left is a post-1950 alteration. Courtyard wall: bounding north-west side of courtyard for approximately 30m, c.3m high. Sandstone ashlar. Chamfered plinth and moulded capping, rusticated pilasters; 7 globe finials,with fleur-de-lys symbols attached, on pedestals above pilasters.

Listing NGR: SJ8193344795

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362566

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 38 Staffordshire,

End of official listing