THE OLD RECTORY AND ATTACHED REAR WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206378
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, LOWER CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY AND ATTACHED REAR WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206378.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 14:40:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, LOWER CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58534 73266

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE LOWER CHURCH LANE 901-1/11/134 (North West side) 08/01/59 The Old Rectory and attached rear wall (Formerly Listed as: LOWER CHURCH LANE The Old Rectory)

II

House. c1470, partially refronted c1770; contained late C16 panelling. Render and brick with limestone dressings, rubble plinth, brick gable stacks and pantile hipped roof. Double-depth plan including right-hand rear wings. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. In 2 sections, 2:3 windows stepped up to the left-hand brickwork, render to the right, with a band above the plinth, a ground-floor drip to the right, differently moulded cornices, stepped up, and a continuous coped parapet. c1770 right-hand section has raised, coved surrounds and ogee heads, a left-hand doorway with interlacing overlight and 6-panel door with the upper 4 raised, and 6/6-pane sashes, with interlacing heads, and 3 sunken panels to the parapet. C19 left-hand section has keyed architraves to horned 6/6-pane ground-floor sashes, and 4/8-pane first-floor sashes. The drip and cornice extend into the right-hand return as far as the external gable stack, windows as the front to each side, no right-hand ground-floor window, with a rear single-storey block. A continuous roof with 2 hipped dormers to the rear and 3 hips to the front. INTERIOR not accessible, but reported as having a left-hand lateral stair flight with uncut string, column-on-vase balusters and a ramped rail. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wall to NE corner. HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly the rectory to St Michael's Church (qv), c1470, which was largely rebuilt 1775 by Thomas Paty, who may have introduced the ogee fenestration to the rectory. Fine late C16 panelling was removed to the Red Lodge (qv), and is now in the ground floor Oak Room there. A house on the site is marked on Millerd's Map of Bristol, 1673. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 78; Millerd's Map of Bristol: 1673-).

Listing NGR: ST5853473266

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379956
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 78

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08350/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].