193, ST JOHN STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208769
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
193, ST JOHN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 193, ST JOHN STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 03:23:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
193, ST JOHN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31668 82307

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3182SE ST JOHN STREET 635-1/74/795 (West side) 29/09/72 No.193 (Formerly Listed as: ST JOHN STREET No.195)

GV II

Former distillery buildings, now offices. Probably of 1874-5, for Nicholson's Distillery. Stone facing to basement and ground floor, yellow brick with stone dressings above. Four storeys over basement, ten-window range. Ground floor has four bays to the left and five to the right of a round-arched central gateway with moulded imposts and archivolt. Rusticated piers support entablature; four bays to north have segmental-arched openings to basement and flat-arched windows to ground floor with moulded arrises, the remaining bays altered. First and second floors have segmental-arched windows with heads and sides of white gauged brick, those over the gateway tripartite and second-floor windows having balconies with chunky fluted brackets. Dentil cornice. Attic storey has flat-arched windows under a continuous hoodmould, small cornice and coping to parapet. INTERIOR: has a staircase probably of a date with the building with open string, cast-iron balusters and mahogany rail; also two basement levels, probably of 1874, carried on cast-iron columns. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3166282305

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369292
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02733/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].