RED HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1269711
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
RED HOUSE, LEISTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 18:12:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
RED HOUSE, LEISTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Aldeburgh
National Grid Reference:
TM 45468 57880

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 8/9/2016

ALDEBURGH

TM45NE LEISTON ROAD 837-1/2/32 (West side) 27/02/50 Red House

II

House. Late C17 core, extended to south early in C18 and given a mid C19 facade to east, forming double-pile plan. Red brick; machine tiled roofs with irregular stacks, including square C17 chimney plinth on rear range, with 7 octagonal flues. EXTERIOR: main front of 2 storeys and 3 bays: 2-storey 3-window extension to left. Main front has central double-leaf door with glazed upper panels set behind a C20 glazed porch. One 8/8 unhorned sash right and left; on first floor, three similar sashes. Extension has half-glazed door between canted bay window to right and two horned sashes with 8/8 glazing bars to left: three similar sashes on first floor. Rear: patches of irregular early C18 brickwork and casement windows from various periods. INTERIOR: one chamfered bridging beam with jewel stops to north-west ground-floor room, the east stops cut off to allow construction of main front block. Late C19 stick-baluster staircase in front block. HISTORY: This was the home of the composer Benjamin Britten and his partner, the tenor Peter Pears, who lived together at the Red House from 1957 until Britten’s death in 1976.  Pears continued to live there until his death in 1986. The Red House is now the home of the Britten-Pears Foundation.

Listing NGR: TM4546857880

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
460466
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/06869/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Atkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].