This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORGE BRIDGE AND WEIR (THOSE PARTS IN LEINTWARDINE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORGE BRIDGE AND WEIR (THOSE PARTS IN LEINTWARDINE)

List entry Number: 1301691

Location

FORGE BRIDGE AND WEIR (THOSE PARTS IN LEINTWARDINE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Leintwardine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 149516

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 47 SE LEINTWARDINE CP -

7/50 Forge Bridge and weir (those parts in Leintwardine CP) 11.6.59

GV II*

Road bridge and weir across River Teme. Circa 1772. By Richard Payne Knight and Thomas Farnolls Pritchard. Squared sandstone rubble and brick with sand- stone dressings. Alignment is north/south. Large semi-circular arch with dressed voussoirs and projecting keystone spans the main river course springing from stepped imposts. It is flanked by square embattled turrets with part-pyramidical cappings and has flat pointed embattled parapet with corbel table beneath the whole. To either side is a smaller stilted round headed arch beneath a plain parapet. Beyond the small southern arch is an intermediated sized version of the main arch with similar detailing of corbels, turrets etc. Weir to west is also semi-circular and constructed of brick and sandstone. (BoE, p 118).

Listing NGR: SO4539474993

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 118

National Grid Reference: SO 45394 74993

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 02:10:46.

End of official listing