Borough Cross in front of No 62 (The Goat), The Borough


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Borough Cross In front of No 62, The Goat, The Borough, Downton, Salisbury, SP5 3LY


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355716.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 18:17:57.


Statutory Address:
Borough Cross In front of No 62, The Goat, The Borough, Downton, Salisbury, SP5 3LY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16 July 2021 to update the name and address and to reformat the text to current standards

SU 1721 5/33

DOWNTON THE BOROUGH (south side) Borough Cross in front of No 62 (The Goat)

(Formerly listed as Borough Cross in front of No 62 (The White Horse))



Borough cross. C14, restored 1787, 1897 and 1953. Limestone. Three worn hexagonal steps up to square plinth with chamfered corners, octagonal shaft with small cross. Latin inscription on riser of middle step and inscription tablets on bottom step commemorating restorations; 1897 repair paid for by Helen, Countess of Radnor; 1953 restoration to celebrate the Coronation.

Downton was granted borough status and market charter by Peter des Roches, bishop of Winchester c.1205. Very similar cross to that in the churchyard (q.v.) Ancient Monument, Wiltshire, Number 294.

Listing NGR: SU1749221504


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05289/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].