NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394279

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 2, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:19:21.

Location

Statutory Address: NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 2, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74435 65687

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1189 (West side) No.2 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos.1-9 (Consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

House. Completed 1790. By John Palmer, built by Richard Sartain. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, rubble to basement. Ashlar and rubble to rear, double pile parapeted mansard roof Welsh slate to front, artificial slate to rear, to rear with coped gable wall to left, two ashlar stacks with some early and two very tall C19 clay pots to right. Staircase to rear. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, single-bay three-window range. First floor has three grouped sashes, four/four, six/six and four/four with some crown glass, left and right narrower, in plain reveals with continuous stone sill; second floor has three similar windows. Ground floor has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill and simple balconettes to right, to left six-panel door with flush and raised and fielded panels and two upper panels glazed in pedimented doorcase with Doric pilasters, pennant paved crossover with cast iron footscraper. Basement has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, C20 timber and glazed door and screen under crossover, C20 area steps. Double dormer with two/two-sashes in moulded architraves. Band course over ground floor, frieze, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. Rear elevation has early glazing bar sashes, to first floor with wrought iron balconette, double dormer. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with shaped cast tops on limestone bases, C19 wire trellis screen attached by front door. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; lower part of Park Street forms one of the four diagonal approaches to St James's Square . Underlease of messuage granted to Richard Sartain 29 September 1790 for 96 years from 24 June 1790. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175.

Listing NGR: ST7443565687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509682

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing