NO. 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394284

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO. 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 6, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO. 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394284 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:32:09.

Location

Statutory Address: NO. 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 6, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74431 65713

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1193 (West side) No.6 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos.1-9 (Consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

House. Completed 1792 with C19 and C20 additions. By John Palmer, built by John Jenkins. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, rubble to basement. Welsh slate double pile parapeted mansard roof with coped gable wall and ashlar stacks with some early clay pots to left. Staircase to front. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic, basement and sub-basement, two-window range. First floor has two C19 plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, second floor has two similar windows, ground floor has one similar window to left, to right six-panel door with flush, raised and fielded and upper two glazed panels with iron knocker in pedimented Doric doorcase, one step to pennant paved crossover. Basement has one six/six-sash in plain reveal with stone sill, blocked opening to sub-basement, C20 door and single light casement window in ashlar infilling under crossover, no area steps. Single dormer with two/two-sash. Rear elevation has band course over ground floor, first and second floors, to first floor with wrought iron full width balcony with wrought iron supports to zinc roof over windows, ground floor centre window has timber panel below to form door to attached steps to garden with wrought iron handrail, small ashlar extension to basement, double dormer. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings with urn tops on limestone bases. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; lower part of Park Street forms one of the four diagonal approaches to St James's Square. Underlease of messuage to John Jenkins 31 January 1792 for 95 years from 24 June 1791. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: - 1661 - DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7443165713

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509687

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing