NO.23 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394300

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO.23 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 23, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO.23 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:48:43.

Location

Statutory Address: NO.23 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 23, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74478 65836

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1209 (West side) No.23 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos 10-14 (consec) & Nos 12-27 (consec) Park Mansions) 12/06/50

GV II

Two houses, now flats. From 1808 with C20 alterations. By John Pinch the Elder. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, render to right side, limestone ashlar and rubble to rear. Double-pile parapeted Welsh slate roofs with coped gable walls to left and right with brick and ashlar stacks with early clay pots to left front, rendered stacks to left rear, two small ashlar stacks on parapets to rear. EXTERIOR: Four storeys and basements, three-window range to left, three-window range with two further windows on splayed angle to right. First floor to left has three nine/nine-sashes in plain reveals with wrought iron balconettes similar to Nos 19, 20 and 22 Park Street (qv), first floor to right has three C19 plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with wrought iron balconettes, window to centre has surround with reeded pilaster strips and moulded console brackets, on splay to right one blind window and one nine/nine-sash in plain reveal. Second floor to left and right has three six/six-sashes in plain reveals, on splay to right one similar window and one blind window. Third floor has to left three six/six-sashes, one with horns, in plain reveals with stone sills, to right three similar windows, one with horns, one similar window and one blind window on splay to right. Ground floor has to left three six/six-sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, to right three C19 plate glass horned sashes in similar reveals, on splay to right one similar blind window, one seven-panel door with raised and fielded panels with four-pane overlight in round headed plain reveal, one step to pennant paved crossover. Basement has four six/six-sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, two C20 half-glazed doors, small rendered extension in area, C20 area steps. Band courses over ground floors forming sill bands to first floor windows, sill bands to second floor, friezes and moulded cornices over second floor, moulded eaves cornices and coped parapets. Rear elevation largely retains early glazing bar sashes with wrought iron balconettes to first floor left and right, house to left has paired C19 horned sashes to staircase and early single storey ashlar and brick extension. INTERIORS: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with shaped tops on limestone bases. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; upper part of Park Street commenced to design of John Palmer and continued but not completed to design of John Pinch after 1808, street formerly terminated by All Saints Chapel at top and intended to be continued in a NW direction as Regent Place; fragment of house attached to right on line of splayed corner was to be beginning of Regent Place. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: MAP PP 2-3; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7447865836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509715

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing