NO.34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394310

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO.34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 34, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO.34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 22:08:25.

Location

Statutory Address: NO.34 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 34, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74470 65753

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1218 (East side) No.34 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (East side) Nos 25-28 (consec), Nos 6-11 (consec) Park Mansions & Nos 32-36 (consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

House. c1790-1793 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, rubble to basement. Welsh slate double pile parapeted mansard roof with coped gable wall and two ashlar stacks with some early clay pots to right. Staircase to rear. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, single bay three-window range. First floor has three grouped C19 plate glass horned sashes, narrower to left and right, in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, second floor has three similar windows. Ground floor has two C19 plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill to right, to left six-panel door with flush and four glazed panels with C19 knocker in plain reveal with pennant step, ogee zinc hood with roundel decoration to frieze over, one step to pennant paved crossover with cast iron footscraper. Basement has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, plank door and two-light window in ashlar infilling under crossover, C20 area steps. Triple dormer with two six/six and one plate glass sash. Band course over ground floor, frieze, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. Lead hopperhead at eaves to left. Rear elevation has C19 windows, to first floor with wrought iron balconette. Early glazing bar sashes to stairs, double dormer, single storey ashlar extension. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with cast iron tops on limestone bases with lifting section. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; upper part of Park Street commenced to design of John Palmer and continued but not completed to design of John Pinch after 1808, street formerly terminated by All Saints' Chapel at top and intended to be continued in a NW direction as Regent Place. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7447065753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509724

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing