NO.36 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394312

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO.36 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 36, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO.36 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394312 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:01:57.

Location

Statutory Address: NO.36 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 36, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74464 65740

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1220 (East side) No.36 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (East side) Nos 25-28 (consec), Nos 6-11 (consec) Park Mansions & Nos 32-36 (consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

House, now flats. c1790-1793 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, rubble to basement, limestone ashlar and rubble and render to right side and rear, Welsh slate double pile parapeted mansard roof with coped gable wall and two ashlar stacks with early clay pots to right. Staircase to rear. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, three-window range. First floor has three four/four-sashes in plain reveals with stone sills and sarcophagus shaped wrought iron balconettes, second floor has three C19 plate glass horned sashes in similar reveals, ground floor has to right two similar sashes, to left door with two flush and two raised and fielded panels and single glazed panel in pedimented Doric doorcase with incised number `36¿, one step to pennant paved crossover with cast iron footscraper and pair C20 gates. Basement has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, plank door and single-pane window in ashlar infilling under crossover, area steps gone. One double and one single dormer with plate glass sashes. Timber bressummer and stone band course over ground floor, frieze, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. Rear elevation has C19 and C20 windows with wrought iron balconettes to ground and first floors, one double and one single dormer, C19 ashlar extension up to second half landing, C20 fire escape up to second floor. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with shaped tops on limestone bases. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; upper part of Park Street commenced to design of John Palmer and continued but not completed to design of John Pinch after 1808, street formerly terminated by All Saints' Chapel at top and intended to be continued in a NW direction as Regent Place. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7446465740

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509726

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing