THREE BOUNDARY MARKERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1395000

Date first listed: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: THREE BOUNDARY MARKERS, SOUTHSTOKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THREE BOUNDARY MARKERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1395000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 12:00:30.

Location

Statutory Address: THREE BOUNDARY MARKERS, SOUTHSTOKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74796 61876

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHSTOKE ROAD 656-1/70/1511 (East side) Three boundary markers

GV II

Three boundary markers. Dated 1827 and 1912, stone marker mid C19. Unusual group of three boundary marks at one spot, at south end of Southstoke Road immediately opposite Cross Keys Inn (qv). First small cast iron triangular county boundary marker with raised lettering, on head `BOUNDARY 1912¿, to left `CITY OF BATH¿ and to right `SOMERSET C C¿, across foot `W HARRIS & Co/CHEWTON MENDIP¿. To right smaller sandstone marker, possibly milestone, with rounded top, inscription much worn, but `P/L¿ and `W¿ can be read. To right lofty flat triangular cast iron marker, dated 1827 `BATH TURNPIKE TRUST¿. To left `WIDCOMBE¿ and to right `SOUTH STOKE¿. HISTORY: The earliest of these parish boundary markers, of which many survive, were erected while James Loudon McAdam was engineer to the Bath Turnpike Trust. Across the road is a mid-C20 finger-post (lying outside the City boundary), forming a group reflecting the historical development of road signage.

Listing NGR: ST7479661876

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510418

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing