Woughton on the Green War Memorial Cross

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458153

Date first listed: 08-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: c20m west of St Mary's Church, Newport Road, Woughton on the Green, Milton Keynes, MK6 3BW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Woughton on the Green War Memorial Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:39:20.

Location

Statutory Address: c20m west of St Mary's Church, Newport Road, Woughton on the Green, Milton Keynes, MK6 3BW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woughton on the Green

National Grid Reference: SP8765537592

Summary

First World War memorial cross, unveiled in 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Woughton on the Green War Memorial Cross, which stands on Newport Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* a simple yet poignant granite memorial cross, in the Celtic style; * unusually, the war memorial has not been adapted for Second World War commemoration, and thus retains its original design intent.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary (Grade II*-listed), numerous Grade II-listed buildings surrounding The Green, and the scheduled area of Woughton on the Green shrunken medieval village.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Woughton on the Green as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by four members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The local newspaper reported on 23 July 1921 that the memorial had been unveiled by Colonel Bowles, a local resident, and dedicated by Reverend Canon Whittaker. The names of those 18 men who served and returned are recorded on the lychgate (unlisted), c12m to the south.

The memorial was cleaned and re-lettered in 2014 to mark the centenary of the start of the First World War.

Details

The granite memorial cross stands on the verge on the east side of Newport Road and aligned to the west tower of the Church of St Mary (Grade II*-listed). It comprises a simple wheel-head cross with decorative roundels incised into the cross-head. The cross-shaft stands on a tapering pedestal and single granite step. The dedicatory inscription to the front face of the pedestal reads FOR RIGHT AND LIBERTY/ 1914 + 1918 (4 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 29 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/231356/
War Memorials Register, accessed 29 April 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8211
Other
North Bucks Standard, 23 July 1921.

End of official listing