Sidbury War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463228
Date first listed:
10-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
Greenhead, Junction of Chapel Street, Sidbury, Devon, EX10 0RH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Sidbury War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463228 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:14:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
Greenhead, Junction of Chapel Street, Sidbury, Devon, EX10 0RH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Sidmouth
National Grid Reference:
SY1378391616

Summary

A First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920 and altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Sidbury War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * it is a dignified and sombre stone cross, neatly made and well-proportioned.

Historic interest: * it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community of the events of the First World War.

Group value: * it has good group value with other listed buildings nearby, including Woodvale Cottage (Grade II) and The Retreat (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Sidbury as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The land was given for the memorial by Sir Charles Cave and the memorial was designed by London architect Mr Walter Cave and built by Messrs Harry Hems and Sons of Exeter. The memorial was unveiled by Sir Charles's daughter-in-law Mrs Cave OBE on Tuesday 11 May 1920 and dedicated by the Dean of Exeter.

An inscription remembering the parishioners who fell during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920 and altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed from rough-hewn granite.

PLAN: the memorial is located in a prominent roadside location on the main road junction in the centre of the village and stands on a purpose-built stone platform reached by two flights of steps. The site is overlooked by Woodvale Cottage (Grade II) and The Retreat (Grade II).

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a tall, slender, Latin cross set atop a three-stepped base. The upper two steps of the base are square, while the bottom step is octagonal.

The main inscription is in raised lettering on the eastern face of the second step down and reads: IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919./ "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"/.

An additional inscription is given on the front of the lower step of the base which reads: AND ALSO THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945/.

No names are recorded on memorial itself.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register ref 25479, accessed 9 November 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25479
War Memorials Online ref 173333, accessed 9 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/173333
Other
‘Sidbury War Memorial’, The Devon and Exeter Gazette, 13 May 1920, p 5 col 5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].