Location: Goodwin Sands, Kent
Age / period: post medieval (1678-1703)
List entry number: 1000057
Reason for designation: historical significance
Wreck history and loss
Although there is no definite evidence, this wreck of a wooden warship is thought to be the remains of the 'Restoration'. The 'Restoration' was one of the third rate 70-gun ships-of-the-line built as part of Samuel Pepys' regeneration of the English navy. Like the 'Stirling Castle' and the 'Northumberland' she was rebuilt, and refitted in 1701.
She was part of a squadron returning from the Mediterranean which had anchored in the Downs, just off the coast of Kent, during the Great Storm of 1703. Along with the 'Stirling Castle', the 'Northumberland' and many other vessels, the 'Restoration' was driven into the notorious Goodwin Sands. She sunk and overall 1190 lives were lost.
The site consists of two debris mounds and it is unclear whether these mounds are from one wreck or two, and it is possible that they may be parts of either the 'Northumberland', or the fourth rate 'Mary'.
Discovery and investigation
The site was discovered in 1980 as part of a systematic investigation of fishing net fastenings and was designated in 1981. No intensive archaeological work has been carried out on the site, although side scan and magnetometer surveys have been undertaken in recent years.
Material recorded on the seabed includes large ships timbers, several cannon (at least one with an associated carriage), an iron anchor, substantial concretions and galley bricks. Recently a bell purported to be from the 'Restoration' site was handed in to the East Kent Maritime Museum in Ramsgate. Unlike the 'Stirling Castle' and 'Northumberland' bells this example has no broad arrow and 1692 stamped on it, which may coincide with the 'Mary'.