The Paintworks, Bristol
Originally dating back to 1850, Phoenix Wharf was formerly a paint and varnish factory for approximately 100 years before manufacturing ceased and the site fell into decline. By 2003, much of the site was derelict.
Today, the site has been redeveloped into a mixed use district which has seen some of the former industrial buildings repurposed as studio and exhibition space. Located within the Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone and with a focus on attracting creative industries and technology, The Paintworks has become a media and creative hub within central Bristol.
New commercial use of the historic area
Regeneration of the site began in 2004, and a 12 acre mixed-use development opened in 2006. 140,000 square feet of industrial buildings were converted into studios, offices and housing during Phase 1 and 2 of the site’s redevelopment. Over 100 small and medium-sized businesses are now based at The Paintworks. Phase 3 is to be finished by 2018, and it is expected that over 1,000 jobs will have been attracted to the site.