Heritage Counts in the West Midlands
Heritage Counts 2015 is the fourteenth annual survey of the state of the West Midland's historic environment.
As in previous years, Heritage Counts provides a summary of historic environment indicators including an analysis of staffing levels, heritage at risk, planning applications and visitor, education and volunteering figures.
Historic environment indicators
The Heritage Counts indicators for the West Midlands can be found on the Indicators page and data is categorised into five spreadsheets:
- Discovery, identification and understanding: Provides indicators on the scale and scope of the historic environment and assets
- Constructive conservation and sustainable management: Includes indicators on the overall condition of the historic environment with indicators from the Heritage at Risk programme and data on managing the historic environment including planning statistics
- Public engagement: Presents data on participation in heritage, heritage membership and volunteering in the sector
- Capacity building: Indicators of heritage investments from private, public and voluntary sectors as well as the skills and capacity of the sector
- Helping things to happen: Includes indicators of the importance of guardianship
Maps showing the distribution of designated heritage assets in the West Midlands are available here:
Local area data is available on the Local Authority Profile page.
Principal Local Engagement Adviser, West Midlands
Also of interest...
See how Historic England is helping to save the Grand Hotel in Birmingham, and follow other local heritage news.