Slave Trade Memorials
The oldest memorial to the abolition of slavery is the Anti-Slavery Arch, 3, Wheelers Walk, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5 4AX. It was erected in 1834 by Henry Wyatt (from 1793 to 1847) to celebrate the passing of the Slavery Abolition Act 1833. Wyatt was a supporter of the Stroud Anti-Slavery Society and he built the arch as an entrance to the drive of his country house.
Captured Africans Sculpture
Unveiled in 2005, Kevin Dalton Johnson's Captured Africans Sculpture on St. Georges Quay is a memorial to the slaves transported on ships originating out of Lancaster.
In 2008 Archbishop Desmond Tutu unveiled a new sculpture in Fen Court, London EC3M 5BA to commemorate the 2007 Bicentenary of the Act to Abolish the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Created by Michael Visocchi, the City of London Memorial to the Abolition of the Slave Trade is composed of a group of columns in the form of sugar cane placed around a podium. These suggest a pulpit, or slave auctioneer's stance. Inscribed on the podium are the words of Lemn Sissay's poem "The Gilt of Cain", which weave the coded language of the stock exchange trading floor with Old Testament biblical references.