Queen Alexandra's House
|Current Status||Still student housing|
|Address||Kensington Gore, City of Westminster|
|Building Date and Architect||1884 by C.P Clarke and R. Down|
|Designation||Listed Grade II in 1987|
|National Grid Reference||TQ2651579542|
Built as a student hostel for 100 women students at the Royal Colleges of Music, Art and Science. This red brick building in a free Jacobean/Queen Anne revival style has a prominent location next to the Royal Albert Hall.
The curved façade features seven full height canted bay windows at intervals along the façade with stepped gables over, culminating in chimney stacks. The entrances feature inset terracotta plaques modelled by Richard Ledward RA.
The elaborate surviving interiors include an open iron staircase with slender decorated iron supports; decorative glazed faience to the entrance hall; stained glass; a faience fireplace in the drawing room; elaborate plasterwork and woodwork, and a dining room with 12 Doulton tile panels illustrating the arts of music and pottery, designed by John Eyre.
Listed as an early example of purpose-built student hostel; terracotta faience and tile pictures donated by Henry Doulton.
Also of interest...
Determined women have seized the opportunity provided by gardens to assert their independence and to create living, lasting monuments.