Queen Mary Hall and YWCA Central Club
|Current Status||Now a Hotel|
|Address||Great Russell Street, London Borough of Camden|
|Building Date and Architect||1928-32 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for the YWCA|
|Designation||Listed Grade II in 1974|
|National Grid Reference||TQ2991381464|
This handsome Neo-Georgian building was a residential club and concert hall for the Young Women's Christian Association. Designed by the eminent architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, it is a bold essay in austere and materially rich Neo-Georgian styling on such a large scale. The materials are of high quality: brown brick with stone dressings and gauged flat brick arches to flush framed sash windows.
The entrance with stone door case comprises Corinthian pilasters carrying an entablature and an open segmental pediment dated 1932, all approached by double flight of steps with a wrought-iron balustrade.The subsidiary entrance on the return has a stone door case with brick banded pilasters and an angel head keystone to the window above. Internally, a first floor double storey concert hall survives.
This building was listed as a striking inter-war Neo-Georgian building by an architectural master of the style, also with historic interest as a prominent residential club that exemplified the mission of the Young Women's Christian Association to safely and comfortably house young working women in cities.
Also of interest...
Determined women have seized the opportunity provided by gardens to assert their independence and to create living, lasting monuments.