|Current Status||Stills Flats|
|Address||Hampstead Way, Hampstead Garden Suburb, London Borough of Barnet|
|Building Date and Architect||1927 by Hendry and Schooling for the United Women's Homes Association|
|Designation||Listed Grade II in 2004|
|National Grid Reference||TQ2500388642|
Queen's Court was built for the United Women's Homes Association in 1927 as suburban flats for working women. The Association's headquarters, Murray House, was built the following year near Victoria Station, with a number of flats on the upper floors for low-wage earning women. But their scheme at the Hampstead Garden Suburb, personally supported by the suburb's founder Henrietta Barnett and apparently favoured by Lutyens, fits comfortably with the Neo-Georgian suburban ideal.
The scheme comprised 16 two-storey ranges with open loggias to the rear and featured groups of single bedrooms with shared kitchens and bathrooms, altered in the late 20th century to make flats.
It is of red brick with hipped tiled roofs and wooden casements, altogether suiting the Vernacular Revival style. It was listed as a contextual Arts and Crafts development with strong historic interest, as well as for group value within this important suburb - having direct links to its founder as well as providing social housing for working women.
Also of interest...
Determined women have seized the opportunity provided by gardens to assert their independence and to create living, lasting monuments.