Time and Talents Settlement
|Current Status||Now studios and a flat.|
|Address||Bermondsy Street, London Borough of Southwark|
|Building Date and Architect||1908 by Sir Reginald Blomfield|
|Designation||Listed Grade II in 1988|
|National Grid Reference||TQ3331179493|
Built as a hostel for the Time and Talents Association, as announced in the Arts and Crafts lettering in carved stone frieze that reads 'TIME AND TALENTS SETTLEMENT'. The building is of purple brick with red brick and stone dressings.
The ground floor is recessed and roughcast, articulated by banded piers of dark brick and Portland stone with stylised Ionic capitals. The upper floors are framed by red brick quoin and central pilasters, with gauged, red brick flat arches and red brick dressings to the horned 12-pane sashes.
The right side has steeply pitched crow-stepped gable hiding attic windows. The interior apparently retains a grand chimney piece on the first floor. The Time and Talents Association was an Anglican quasi-missionary organisation set up in 1895 by West End women to help young working girls and women, and was a prominent part of the1880-1914 settlement movement.
Young women came in to Bermondsey from more prosperous areas and the building hosted clubs, district visiting and campaigning around issues of girls' safety at work.
This building is listed for its imaginative yet contextual Arts and Crafts design by an eminent architect to house a historically significant settlement for working girls and young women.