This women's shelter and rescue home was built for the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Central Hall Mission, as a gift from a Mr James Scarlett. It was designed to provide non-institutional support for women, and specifically for domestic servants, thought to be at risk in the adjacent industrial district of Ancoats. There was both temporary and semi-permanent residential accommodation as well as training and recreational facilities, notably a ground floor coffee tavern providing an alcohol-free environment for socialising.
Former Women's Shelter and Rescue Home
1899 by William Sharpe
Listed Grade II in 1998
The building is in an Arts and Crafts style with Vernacular Revival detailing. It is constructed of red brick, with decorative banding in buff terracotta, and with a jettied gable to the narrow frontage. The ground floor coffee shop retains some decorative tile-work to the stall risers and a tiled canopy above. Some windows on the side elevation retain their leaded lights and Art Nouveau stained glass panels.