The Samaritan Hospital for Women was founded in 1847 to provide free healthcare to women unable to afford private medical treatment. The present building dates from 1889-90. It is a bold, eclectic classical composition in red brick and terracotta with a tall pedimented centrepiece flanked by lower wings with bow windows. The hospital eventually closed in the 1990s.
1889-90 by WC Habershon and F Fawkner
Listed Grade II in 1987