The Hospital for Women
The Hospital for Women began in Red Lion Square, Holborn, and was the first hospital to offer its services to all women, regardless of social class. It moved to a former house in Soho Square, no 30, in 1851; in 1865 it expanded into no 29, which was rebuilt by the architect EL Bracebridge at this time. The matt glazed white faience and stucco façade and dormered green slate mansard were added in 1909-10. The parapet is inscribed with the words 'The Hospital for Women'.