Tredegar House was built as a Training Home for Pupil Probationers for the London Hospital. The building is in the Wrenaissance style - a revival of the architecture of the second half of the 17th century - with brick quoins, stone dentil cornice, timber sash windows and dormers with alternating triangular and segmental pediments. The original plans of February 1911 survive and show the building had a lecture room, dining room, sitting room and large 'practical classroom' along with bedrooms for 30 probationers and bed-sitting rooms for the sisters. Rowland Plumbe, the architect and Hospital Surveyor, himself contributed £5,000 to the cost of building work. The new home replaced a Georgian house on Bow Road of the same name, which had been donated to the hospital by Lord Tredegar.
1911-12 by Rowland Plumbe
Listed Grade II in 2009
From the mid-late 19th century a small number of hospitals established training programmes for nurses. The London Hospital first did so in 1880; in1896, under Matron Eva Lückes, the hospital moved into the vanguard by establishing a pioneering seven-week preliminary course comprising lectures, practical work and, distinctively, an examination at the end.
Twenty-eight probationers were taught anatomy, physiology, bacteriology and hygiene and shown how to read temperatures, bandage, keep reports of special cases and other nursing skills. The course allowed probationers to 'pause on the threshold' before deciding whether to enter the wards, and ensured the hospital had dedicated, competentstaff. Edith Cavell took the course in 1901 and established a similar institution in Belgium.